Re: [LAU] The Many Ways of Pam Limits...

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 12:03:18 EEST

Quoting "Jari Suominen" <jari.suominen@email-addr-hidden>:

> Sampo Savolainen kirjoitti:
>> To diagnose the issue, we would need to see the exact error message.
>> Meanwhile, you could try checking whether the limits you've put in
>> limits.conf are actually in effect.
>
> This is the messages printed in messages window of qjackctl:
>
> -- snip --
>
> But the thing I'm also interested is why same Jack settings work when
> running qjackctl as sudo?

Those messages look entirely ok, except for jackd just crashing! Very
weird. Can you try launching jackd with the same parameters from the
command line? Maybe that will give you a bit more information.

It seems that something has gone awry with the installation / system.
Maybe some files jackd needs are owned by root and not writable for
the user?

You can always strace jackd:
     strace -f /usr/bin/jackd [parameters] >& logfile

(I recommend not using realtime mode when stracing. But you might need
to do that if jackd crashes only when in realtime mode.)

The log will tell you all system operations the process does. At the
end, just before the crash, you should see some syscalls go awry. They
are most likely permission related as it works as root, so look for
open() calls in particular.

   Sampo