Re: [LAU] Does the Edirol UA-101 work well at 192 kHz/24 bit?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 21:24:50 EEST

On Friday 24 July 2009 17:26:51 Carlos Sanchiavedraz wrote:
> Foreseeing I'll need more than 2 ins, and having just one firewire and
> only in my laptop and not on my PC, it makes me balance to UA 101.
> Any more advices and experience on linux?

Actually this should _really_ push you for firewire. Because:
USB1 only has bandwidth for four channels. Two in and two out and the bus is
filled up. And don't even think about adding another device to that bus (and be
aware of the hubs already builtin the computer).
On Firewire the bandwidths will be reserved, so no matter how many devices you
connect, (up to the total limit) all devices will get the needed bandwidth.
And firewire is a network, not a master-slave connection. So you don't need
more than one firewire connector on your laptop, simply daisy-chain all the
devices. Additional advantage: then they can all use the firewore-clock as
reference-clock which makes multiple audio-fw-devices act as one big (sample-
synced!) audio device.

And a firewire-card for a pc is as cheap as a good firewire cable...

Have fun,

Arnold