[LAU] Where is the music made in Linux? (previously LAM etc)

From: Viktor Mastoridis <viktor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 26 2009 - 12:42:12 EEST

I am reposting the thread because:
1. I noticed that the LAM description that I copy/pasted didn't appear in
the post
2. I decided on a more descriptive title so more people can join
3. I will cross-post it on LAM, LAU & LAD
finding collaborators.
Software trouble should be discussed in LAU and the coding side of things
should be sent to LAD...."

But there it seems that only one person (Julian) posts his music in the last
two years.

I see that music is been posted on all LA- lists occasionally, but I was
never sure whether it was the right place for posting (the various LA-
lists)

It would be nice to have a place where Linux music is posted and people
(audiophiles/musicians/linux geeks) make comments about it and generally,
hang out, say like http://www.zoxsy.com/

Any ideas, suggestions about it?

Viktor

============================

Mark Knecht
 to Viktor, Linux-audio-us.

Frankly, I've never heard of this list.

- Mark

> I see that music is been posted on all LA- lists occasionally, but I
> was never sure whether it was the right place for posting (the various
> LA- lists)

At some point someone on the LAU list wondered with all the rather
technical discussions going on: where's the music?

So a few people started to post about their music made with Linux now
and then.

James Shuttleworth, who was likely the most productive of all of us for
a while, thought it would be good to have a dedicated list for that. So
he set one up. But assuming not that many people subscribed, some
started to post to both LAM and LAU about their music. Others continued
to post to LAU only.

(See http://dis-dot-dat.net/index.cgi?item=music/)

> It would be nice to have a place where Linux music is posted and
> people (audiophiles/musicians/linux geeks) make comments about it and
> generally, hang out, say like http://www.zoxsy.com/

http://lam.fugal.net/ used to be a place where you could leave links to
tracks with short descriptions. No comments, AFAIR, though.

archive.org has an "open-source" music section and there is a "Linux"
keyword in use. I'm afraid you will find lots of podcasts and such
there, though:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Linux" AND collection
%3Aopensource_audio

We could agree on a more specific keyword, but things like this tend to
not spread as they should.

Regarding the "it would be nice", sure, it's always the same: you need
someone to take care of it ;)

--
Thorsten Wilms
thorwil's design for free software: