Re: [LAU] Heads Up! ZynAddSubFX

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 27 2009 - 00:33:32 EEST

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:03:36 +0000 (GMT)
Frank Kober <goemusic@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Playing a bit more with it I see that I traded in the disconnections/xruns for crackling when the CPU load goes up a bit, so there was much wishful thinking when I last posted, I also thought it was part of the bug fixes announced... On my system, which is an old mono-proc 2.6 GHz this is actually not so painful, however on a friend's system (bi-proc 1.6 GHz) the crackling already appeared with low-demanding sounds, and in that case it wouldn't useful for doing recordings.
> So let's hope the team finds a solution to this...indeed not much improvement to the most serious problem until now.
> Regards
> Frank

This is being very intensively worked on. There is a temporary fix,
which cures the defect completely, but partially returns to the RT
unsafe situation. I found it worth doing, for the sake of all the other
benefits.

In src/Output/JACKaudiooutput.cpp change the folowing lines:
if (!pthread_mutex_trylock(&jackmaster->mutex)) {
    JACKhandlemidi(nframes);

jackmaster->GetAudioOutSamples(nframes,jack_get_sample_rate(jackclient),outl,outr);
    pthread_mutex_unlock(&jackmaster->mutex);
} else {
    memset(outl, 0, sizeof(jack_default_audio_sample_t) * nframes);
    memset(outr, 0, sizeof(jack_default_audio_sample_t) * nframes);
}
pthread_mutex_trylock(&jackmaster->mutex);
jackmaster->GetAudioOutSamples(nframes,jack_get_sample_rate(jackclient),outl,outr);
pthread_mutex_unlock(&jackmaster->mutex);

Also, an annoying little detail is that all the controllers are enabled
by default except main volume (controller 7) which is, of course, the
one I *always* want!

The change below cures that, and I believe will be rolled into the next
mantenance release.

In src/Params/Controller.cpp

Change:
    "volume.receive=0;"