Re: [LAU] The Many Ways of Pam Limits...

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 09:19:42 EEST

Jack O'Quin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Brent Busby<brent@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> As much as Debian tries to be a general purpose OS, I've found that they
>> tend to be most at home thinking about multiuser servers and multiple
>> user Linux workstations, after the style of old Sun machines. They're
>> really good at that, but they're definitely not musicians.
>
> Agreed.
>
> If you want a Debian-based system, Ubuntu is much more focused on
> requirements for a general-purpose desktop. Not specifically for
> musicians of course, but easier to adapt for that purpose.

maybe it is more of a trade-off -

Ubuntu may be better suited to your hardware and usage, and may offer
the ways to configure the system how you like it - if so great, you are
lucky that all that has been set up for you!

  - but you may get more flexibility at the cost of more initial
learning time and configuration effort using more general distributions
like Debian or Gentoo.

Sidux, for example, offers a more up-to-date and more desktop-oriented
starting point for a Debian system than the very careful and
conservative policies in Debian Stable, which certainly IS focussed on
the needs of big servers etc.

Plus you will need to add at least the Debian Multimedia repositories -
or the very strict legal and open source policies of Debian will make
life difficult.

I believe it is a good thing that Debian keeps its repositories very
strictly legal, and strictly GPL compatible, and has a very conservative
view of Stable, since adding extra repositories to match your personal
needs and beliefs is easy, and using Unstable is a fine option for
desktop use.

Simon