Re: [LAU] Why Debian necessarily?... WAS... Re: The Many Ways of Pam Limits...

From: Harry Van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 15:18:46 EEST

Hey,

I wont answer your question on "Why Debian?", but i will say that AV linux
is amazing!
I'm really impressed with it because:
- FFADO "just worked". ie: modprobe raw1394, chmod /dev/raw1394, start jack.
Record 12 channels at 8ms for 1/2 n hour with 1 xrun.
-XFCE: Although i downgraded to stable (4.4) despite having the testing 4.6
installed, it was not much effort, and not half as bloat as KDE/full gnome.
-RemasterSys: Click the button, answer some questions (that are newbie
freindly) and have an ISO made of your exact current system. (I know other
distros have this feature, but they never seemed to work so well.
-Wine: For windows -> linux people its great: pre installed. if you dont
need it, its only a click away in Synaptic!
-I could go on, but networking, internet browsing, typing (Abiword :-) etc
all works well too, installing is a doddle, and if i take a DVD around, i
can get my entire system up & running in under 2 mins! (Upload edited files
to a git repo on Github when developing, my own site if its an update on
music.)

GMac, the "Author" of AV really done a great job in my opinion, very much
recommended!
-Harry van Haaren