[LAU] HDA-Intel headphone interrupt locking up kernel

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 00:12:20 EEST

Found a really fun one.

Plug in or unplug my headphone, and my computer locks up. This is with hda-intel with msi-enable.

Apparently the headphone plugging/unplugging generates an interrupt. I am using msi-enable. When the thing sleeps and comes back from sleep, sometimes the kernel, the BIOS, ACPI, and the snd-hda-intel driver aren't in agreement as to what IRQ the thing is on. Sometimes I end up with this:

 16: 1321610 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb5, i915@email-addr-hidden:0000:00:02.0, HDA Intel
218: 2 none-edge
219: 3063329 none-edge

I've got RT kernel, and the IRQ-219 is set to highest priority.

 1673 FF 85 - 125 0.2 S< IRQ-219

 Now, if I am careless enough to generate an interrupt by plugging in the headphone, the system will lock-up, hard-core.

 I can avoid the problem by whacking the snd-hda-intel driver with a ball-peen hammer until it decides to go back onto the correct IRQ again:

 sudo modprobe -r snd-hda-intel
 sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel

Yay,

 16: 1337804 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb5, i915@email-addr-hidden:0000:00:02.0