Re: [LAU] Jack-enabled CLI Player

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 12:48:46 EEST

> On Sunday 02 August 2009 23:53:48 Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>
>> David Baron:
>>
>>> I added the two lines, installed the module and restarted pulseaudio.
>>> BTW has same problem other daemons had of not detecting their pid file.
>>> Ooollld bug.
>>>
>>> Using ogg123 without any -d alsa: Works without jack running. Not with
>>> jack
>>> running. There is now a messagb dbus daemon around which is taking a lot
>>> of
>>> resources, idle, which pulseaudio apparently uses. Cannot start it
>>> without
>>> that.
>>>
>> Do you see the pulseaudio jack ports? (jack_lsp) In case:
>>
>> In FC10 I had to sometimes run "killall -9 jackdbus" before starting
>> jack, and sometimes I also had to manually change the soundcard
>> volume to get sound. (just changing volume, one step up or down
>> was enough, made the difference).
>>

> If I start pulseaudio with init.d (and jackd would not be running at this
> point), it busies up the card and jackd will not start. Actually, it did start
> but with an error saying it didn't. No pulse ports appeared. The bare ogg123
> did not sound. Jack will soon crash out, taking pulseaudio with it.
>
> If I start pulseaudio as user, it will fail if jackd is not running. If jackd
> is running, pulse will start. I have the output port but no capture port. The
> bare ogg123 did not sound.
>
> This will only work if that messagb-owned dbus and haldaem-owned hald are
> running. These eat up resources, even at idle, and slow things down. If I kill
> them, pulseaudio will not start again.

Which version are you wokring with?

Versions of pulseaudio older than 0.15 are quite broken with regards to
jack support.

I had to upgrade my whole system from Fedora 10 to 11 to get all the
associated dependency upgrades that v0.15 or greater require. It's
probably not worth testing with an older version as the latest have a
lot of fixes and handle jack a lot more effectively.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd