Re: [LAU] Jack issue

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 03:22:08 EEST

> my config:
> Dell Studio
> Ubuntu 9.04
> rt kernel 2.6.29.4-rt15-rt
> jackd version 0.116.1 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 24
> Ardour 2.7.1 (built from revision 4296)
> USB iMic audio interface
> KOrg nanoKontrol
> cpufreq-set - both cpu's are set to 2.0GHz and userspace
>
> I'm trying to get Jack and Ardour set up/optimized for my fall tour
> I'm using the rt kernel as stated above
>
> my Jack settings are 44.1kHz: frames 512: periods 5
> latency is not a huge issue for me since I'm only playing back audio for
> a live mix situation
> and xruns in Jack seem to be tamed to 0 during playback
>
> my Ardour session is 30 minutes in length, has 8 tracks of audio, and
> the fader levels are assigned to the nanoKontrol
>
> everything works fine for the session except at some random point after
> playing for a while I get a single short burst of AM sideband noise,
> like I'm multiplying the audio on the mix buss by another audio signal
>
> it doesn't happen (so far) more than once per session and it doesn't
> seem to be correlated to anything like mix buss levels or clipping on a
> single channel etc
>
> is there a setting in Jack that I'm overlooking or has anyone
> experienced a similar intermittent burst of noise in playback with
> similar Jack settings? or if this topic has already been discussed can
> someone point me to a link in the archives? I wasn't able to find
> anything on a cursory search

This could be one of several issues.

1: A driver bug.
2: A bug in the version of Ardour that you are using.
3. It may be related to having a daemon process running that spikes your
load.

To check for the latter you would need to run a monitoring app like
gkrellm or top and monitor it while you have the session playing to
check if any spikes occur. It's probably also possible to print a status
report to stdout so you can check back.

If it's a driver, jack or Ardour bug I haven't heard of it. IMO if it's
not an external process causing the spike it's a 50/50 chance it's
more the driver for the imic than a bug in the version of Ardour.

If you can rule out the spike option that would be helpful.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd