Re: [LAU] JAMin updates?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 21:57:55 EEST

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 19:11:53 you wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:52 AM,
> eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden<eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >>For example that 10ms delay so it gets (more) usable for live-foh usage?
> >> ;-)
> > Unfortunately, I don't think there's any hope for that. That's just
> > processing overhead. I was thinking more of the per band delays. I
> > added those, mostly just for fun and to learn how the processing worked.
> > They make a minor difference in the output but not enough to warrant
> > keeping them.

I talked to the main-devs (was it steve harris) one or several times. As far
as I remember the 10ms delay is because of the math in either the EQ or the X-
over for the compressors, don't remember exactly which. And there is probably
no way to cirumvent that.

Hmm, maybe DSP-expert Fons has something in his toolbox?

> Just my personal POV, and not that it can't be used live, but the
> concept of using Jamin 'live' really wasn't what the original purpose
> was which was more a mastering plugin to address what we were missing
> from the Waves stuff as we came to Linux.

Well, I have seen people use a three-band studio compressor from the
mastering-rack on tour for foh. And everyone uses a 31band EQ live (or at
least should). So I actually tried to use jamin as master-effect once. Worked
okay from the sound-perspective but the musicians and speakers complained
about the delay (was a rather small room).

> Jamin's been a great too for me as it is.

For me too!

But that doesn't let me stop dreaming. :-)

Have fun,

Arnold