Re: [LAU] How well do thinkpad notebooks work for audio?

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 23:48:16 EEST

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:14:46 +0200
Paul Remmers <p.remmers@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Although I've never used it for serious audio work here's what I got on my
> (actually my work-) T60p. The only thing that I found that doesn't work is the
> fingerprint reader.

I have a T43 and I'm really happy with it. I run Fedora and it runs fine.
I even have the fingerprint scanner running thanks to the info over at
ThinkWiki.org.

That said, the audio chip on this ThinkPad is pretty bad. Recordings
I've made with it have been pretty horrid. If I were going to use it
for serious audio I'd get an external interface, preferably one that
was PCMCIA based as there's no firewire port on it.

The ThinkPads I've had have been pretty rugged and have taken their
fair share of hard knocks and kept working. The other reason I love 'em
is that they have the TrackPoint mouse (the red nub in the middle of the
keyboard) which is brilliant. I *HATE* touchpads, and disable the evil
things on all the ThinkPads I use (3, including work machines, all T43s).
I'll never buy a laptop that has just a touchpad.