Re: [LAU] ALSA + Intel HDA + (Hauppauge PCIe Combo tv tuner) ??

From: William Case <billlinux@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 15:08:28 EEST

Hi Clemens;

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 10:20 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Alsa seems unable to find my audio analog chip set; put another way I
> > can't get any sound from analog cable tv with tvtime -- apparently
> > because alsa is not providing the sound.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
> > 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> > HDA Intel at 0xe5300000 irq 16
>
> Looking at the kernel source, it appears that the cx23885 driver does
> not have audio recording support.
>
> > The TV tuner and sound card do not seem to be communicating.
>
> Is there an audio cable between the tuner's output and the motherboard's
> line-in (or other analog input)?

No. There is no physical external line/cable. My understanding is that
the PCIe bus is supposed to take care of that now. In my travels through
google and various mail lists many people with new tuner cards do not
have external cables either and are having the same problem.

To quote from a series of exchanges I have had on the Fedora users
mailing list regarding a line-in.

"
> I wonder what kind of Line input this is? You keep on pointing
        out
> that you haven't placed a cable between tv card and onboard
        audio,
> but even with onboard audio 'Line' and 'Mic' are external
        input
> jacks, aren't they?

        That is the $64,000 question. (You might be too young to
        remember the $64,000 question.)

        That was what started me on this whole "what do controls do?"
        quest and trying to figure out various possible control
        combinations. Using 'Line' or Line-in on my setup didn't seem
        logical. It still doesn't.

        I have external receptacles on my motherboard at the back of my
        computer box -- one light green for incoming sound, and one
        light red (pink) for a microphone. Double checked visually and
        in my motherboard manual.

        *However* my tv tuner card has no sound output receptacle, did
        not come with a line to use as an external connection line and
        shows no external hookups in its manual. Besides, I have looked
        several times and there is no no receptacle for line-out. I
        have tried experimenting with earphones. The receptacle on the
        tuner card that does exist is for sound-in for a satellite dish.

        On my old computer, the tv tuner did have an external line-out
        to a
        sound card line-in. So I am familiar with what I am looking
        for. I do not have an external line plugged into on this
        computer's sound. "

Sorry, I forgot to include that info.

--
Regards Bill