Re: [LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 04:49:44 EEST

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:19 AM, James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> The Mac fanboi backlash is by turns amusing and irritating but
> always unsurprising.

I wonder if I fall into this category nowadays?

I guess its a bit funny if I do;)

> Linux audio is a total mess... a normal human being can't work with pro
> > audio on Linux, unless he/she spent hours and hours to learn the little
> > tricks or he has an expert available who helps him...
>
> What is the purpose of telling this mailing list this?

Preaching to the choir in most cases I suspect;)

then get off this list and leave us to our playthings. or better yet,
spend time critiquing the current state of the "out of the box"
experience with the people who **actually provide** the out of the
box experience.

Well technically this list did, not to long ago, scare away someone that was
impactful in those sorts of decisions;)

Control what? The source code of an application? Or the kernel? I have very
> limited skills in programming languages - I'm just an old school music
> artist and multimedia designer. On OS X I have full control over my personal
> creative workflow. But Linux was controlling me in a way that I have to take
> care of lot admin tasks and bugs. Yes the bugs and workarounds on Linux
> controlling me and I'm to stupid to fix them all plus write my dream apps.
> I'm one of the guys, going into a music store and buy a guitar and not one
> of the guy who'd like to build a own. My handcraft is music, not wood.

Control your workflow. I am on OS X now for most of my work, however I
can't set up the same workflow I could on Linux, and what I can do is not
nearly as easy or quick on OS X. I could control my desktop and
applications much smoother and faster with some simple customizations on
Linux than I ever could on OS X. I could tweak the visual aspects much more
easily to that I was happier looking at my screen(Yes I do have a soft spot
for eyecandy, and OS X doesn't come close to filling it).

           Seablade