Re: [LAU] ALSA + Intel HDA + (Hauppauge PCIe Combo tv tuner) ??

From: William Case <billlinux@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 12:49:27 EEST

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 09:26 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 10:20 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > > Looking at the kernel source, it appears that the cx23885 driver does
> > > not have audio recording support.

> > > Is there an audio cable between the tuner's output and the motherboard's
> > > line-in (or other analog input)?
> >
> > No. There is no physical external line/cable. My understanding is that
> > the PCIe bus is supposed to take care of that now.
> > [...] my tv tuner card has no sound output receptacle
>
> The PCIe bus allows devices to communicate with the computer, but not
> with each other. For TV audio to be heard, some software has to record
> from the TV card and to play it back on the default sound card.
>
> Steven, what would be needed to add the missing audio recording support
> to the cx23885 driver?

I have tried
modprobe -r cx23885
modprobe cx23885 card=1

(which is supposed to be the driver specification for
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1800lp)-- no joy. "lp"=PCIe. I get no video or sound; tvtime warns it
can't find video0.

I have tried the patch at
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1800 with no joy.

I filed a Fedora/RedHat new Bug #515740 last night with much the same
information as given here. No response yet.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3