Re: [LAU] Freewheeling, keyboard

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabriel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 08 2009 - 18:01:30 EEST

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, rosea grammostola wrote:

> what is the difference between fweelin and sooperlooper?

Freewheeling sports a really nice UI that is really nice while doing a
live looping performance. Adding and triggering loops is pretty simple
and makes it easy to do improvisation and whatnot. I really like
freewheeling, but it's always been pretty unstable every time I've tried
it.

sooperlooper is a server (like jackd) that is designed for remote control.
You can control it via OSC and MIDI. You have to set up your MIDI
triggers, though (no predefined set). It supports some pretty
sophisticated features on each loop (different sync options, triggering
options, overdubbing, etc.). There is a GUI (slgui) that you can use to
control it... but that is optional. The original idea of the sooperlooper
is to mimic the Echoplex... and slgui bears all the ups and downs of a
hardware-type interface. Because of the client/server design, many users
use it on a 'headless' system for performances.

<thinking_out_loud>
Hmmmmm.... what if the fwheeling GUI were used to control sooperlooper....
</thinking_out_loud>

Peace,
Gabriel