Re: [LAU] Regular Xruns?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 09 2009 - 15:36:12 EEST

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 7:41 AM, James Stone<jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Thanks Paul for your excellent and helpful input! Just one question:
>
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Paul Davis<paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> nothing is going to overflow for hours. and when it does, nothing
>> happens. you're just going to have trust this hand-waving assertion,
>> and i'm willing to be proven wrong in the case of a particular
>> driver/hw combination.
>>

> So what do you think is the reason that we seem to get regular xruns
> at fixed intervals 14-20 mins (depending on system) when a EMU10K1
> card is run at 44100, whereas no xruns at 48000? (and also why I get a
> build up of static sound in the last 5-10 seconds before the xrun)?

*if* the h/w can resample (and if any device could, this would be the
one i would guess it would be), its probably just a poor resampling
implementation, and possibly some interaction between that and the
driver. by "poor" i refer to code quality, not the resampling algo
itself. this card dates from roughly the switchover point when it
started to become "the rule" that cheap h/w ran at a single SR and its
driver resampled when necessary. they could just have done a poor
implementation before eventually making their newer cards rely on
driver resampling.