Re: [LAU] Regular Xruns?

From: James Cameron <quozl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 05:42:33 EEST

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:36:44AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> ... in one system I test on, the motherboard audio is SiS SI7012, and it
> doesn't run at anything but 48000. I'll run a test to see if it is the
> input or output stream of the emu10k1 that is causing an xrun.

Test complete, no useful conclusion.

The method I used was to run jackd (from qjackctl) selecting the four
combinations of input and output against the two sound "cards", all at
44100 Hz. Then I started the transport and took note of the xruns rate.

a. Creative Labs SB Live! (module snd_emu10k1) as input and output,
failed, one xrun per 28 minutes.

b. SiS SI7012 (module snd_intel8x0) as input and output, passed, no
xruns.

c. Creative Labs SB Live! as input, SiS SI7012 as output, failed, 150
xruns over 30 seconds.

d. Creative Labs SB Live! as output, SiS SI7012 as input, failed, 40
xruns over 90 minutes.

Based on these results it was not possible to blame a specific
direction, though the higher rate of xruns when the SB Live! was used as
input may be significant. It fits the theory that the card resamples
and sometimes gets it wrong.

(And it takes jackd's careful method of determining and logging xruns
that makes us notice it).

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/