Re: [LAU] media servers

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 21:44:22 EEST

Hi Dan!
   If you mean Media Server as in something to host audiofiles or organise
internet-radios and the like, I have had experience with slimserver.
Slimserver belongs to the slimdevices. But can be used without them. I used
mplayer.
   Slimserver has a nice web-frontend to search your collection or choose by
category, to update the collection of files stored on harddisk or
files/streams from the net. You can modify the web frontend. It's written in
Perl, has a debian package and I have some nice playlists for radio. It can
stream output as MP3, OGG Flac and maybe more. The slimdevices, if you think
of purchasing one are quite OK with flac, which is nice for quality.
   Oh one thing, I just remembered that the software is now called
squeezecenter.
   Kindest regards
          Julien

--------