Re: [LAU] Report: Pulse Audio vs Jack on Fedora 11

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 02:52:40 EEST

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 15:16 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally got some time to test out the latest version of Fedora 11 for
> pulse and jack interaction.
> FYI, the version of jack installed from the default Fedora repos is
> 0.116.1. That means it's jack1 not jack2. So no matter what the latest
> hooks for working with pulse audio and jack are not in place on the jack
> side anyway.

That is correct, only jack >= 1.9.3 is good for that, and only if
compiled with the --dbus option (for the full jackdbus experience) or
--dbus --classic for just the pulseaudio soundcard reservation logic.

While acquiring the card from pulseaudio works on Fedora 11 (starting
jackd "steals" the card form pulseaudio and all pa streams are paused),
the release code in pulseaudio is not working or is incomplete (don't
know which). It will be fixed in fc12... (and/or is fixed currently in
svn, I think).

For now I'm using a script that replaces the jackd executable to suspend
and unsuspend the pulseaudio streams. Seems to work fine.

-- Fernando