Re: [LAU] hardware compressor-EQ-Limiter

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 20:02:18 EEST

On Tuesday August 11 2009 16.41.34 millward wrote:
> Can anyone advise on a good, but relatively cheap,
> hardware compressor-equalizer-limiter ?
> I'm told its best to clean up the input signal rather than
> having to try to clean it up after its already recorded.

This is my very subjective (but not very uncommon) opinions about pre record
processing:

The meaning of cleaning the input signal usually means careful placement of
mics, experimenting, knowledge and focusing on getting the raw sound as good
as possible.

Usage of compressor really depends on what you want to record. It's common to
use very little compressor when you records and eventually more when mixing.

"Relatively cheap" makes bad sound in general when pre processing before
recording IMHO. For recording real sounds, you will probably get better
results when using your money on (mixers or preamps with) hipass filters when
pre processing (around 35Hz for bass sounds, 300 for cymbals and around 60-75
Hz on almost anything else). Many mixers already have hipass filters that cuts
around 60-75 Hz.

Try the CALF compressor on drums after recording and in the mix - it's
awesome! On song, some people (not me) skips compressors - or are very careful
with them - and use gain automation with very excellent results.

You will probably make most out your money by laying them in the mixer or
preamps. Harder pre record processing, such as limiting of for example bass,
will probably be handled sufficient by a plugin that works before the DAW.

Jostein