Re: [LAU] A webserver with on-the-fly format conversion?

From: Andras Simon <szajmi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 23:03:10 EEST

On 8/11/09, Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Is there any way to set up a webserver that will automatically convert
> the various audio file formats to MP3?
> I'm not looking for a web radio, instead each file should be accessible
> individually and look just like a regular MP3 to the client. Some kind
> of streaming would be nice though (so the client can start playback
> before the whole file is converted/transferred).
>
> Any suggestions how this could be done?

I'm pretty sure that one can associate an arbitrary piece of code with
a URI in any webserver worth its salt. Even good old CGI could do that
(well, that was the point of it).

About streaming I definitely don't know anything, but mplayer for
example will happily start playing after it's filled its cache (the
size of which can be given on the command line) and doesn't wait until
the whole file is downloaded.

HTH,

Andras