Re: [LAU] ZynAddSubFX voices

From: Bengt Gördén <bengan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 10:38:38 EEST

Den Tuesday 11 August 2009 23.42.55 skrev Chip VanDan:
> Hey there everyone,
>
> I'm in the process of retooling my website and adding a blog aimed at
> beginners to Linux audio. My next article is going to be a detailed
> description on how use ZynAddSubFX and also a "down and dirty" on how
> to create unique voices for Zyn and save them.

This I need. I'm really useless of handling a synth.

> I have a ton of unique
> voices for Zyn that I've created over the years that I would like to
> share as part of the article, but I'm not sure on the best way to
> package them for download. My initial plan was to save each one as a
> separate .xmz file and zip all that together but would it be better to
> open up the banks folder where they are all saved and zip them up from
> there?
>
> Also if anybody wants to sharpshoot glaring errors in the articles on
> my blog (all 2 entries so far) it is available @
> http://makinglinuxmusic.blogspot.com

I can't really comment on the writing itself in your article. My mother tongue
is not English. But I would like to make two comments. One about the ease of
reading. You have white for the text and some sort of grey for the
background. I do find reading longer texts difficult when they are coloured
like that. A way to solve my problem is to read the article directly in
firefox as a atom-feed[1]. It gives me the look that I prefer. Second I think
you should include something about realtime in your article about jack.
Newcomers tend to start with just that as their first negative experience
with linux audio. It could be as short as a pointer to, for example a page on
low-latency[2] or a link to some distribution[3] that has rt-kernel as
deafult.

But keep up the good work. Articles about music and music production is always
welcome.

ref.
[1] http://makinglinuxmusic.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
[2] http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Low_latency_howto
[3] http://www.64studio.com/

PS. You seem to also be a productive musician. Nice. DS.

/bengan