Re: [LAU] Pros and cons of 64 bit Linux

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 23:22:20 EEST

Hi Ismael!
   64bit can address more memory (I think this relates to RAM. I think the
integer size used by the CPU is larger. So good for large numbers? and for a
lot of mem. Some people also claim in RT apps it's faster, but I don't really
believe that.
   32bit: All the wndows dlls will run. I guess you'lll also find more
precompiled half-closed software pieces for 32bit. Mplayer and some other
programs can use .dll and other windows shared libs to support audio/video
formats and maybe more. Java shouldn't be an issue. You should only need the
java interpreter and the rest is byte-code, that's supposed to be the same for
all systems. but 32bit might also be nice if you're going to use VST(I)s,
because they too are pieces of 32bit windws software. But I'm not sure how far
the technology has gone here.
   Kindest regards
         Julien

--------