[LAU] latency and hardware monitoring

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 03:22:30 EEST

While I'm posting newbie questions...

The Multiface has its own hardware monitoring, its own headphone output,
and its own very thorough digital mixer with all kinds of internal
routing options, all configurable from the HDSPmixer program in Linux.

With this being true...

...does latency even matter? Is there any reason I need to shoot for
low latency at all if the card is providing its own monitoring functions
in hardware? Is there any other benefit in Ardour, Linuxsampler, or
anywhere else really, to having <5ms latency in Jack? Just
wondering...I've been seeing a lot of posts online implying that it's
just a matter of making laying down new tracks over existing material
seem less lagged.

If that's all it is, I'd imagine the system could breathe a bit easier
with less aggressive settings.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky