Re: [LAU] Surround Mixing & Ambisonics

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 11:36:36 EEST

Hi Ray!
   I also experimented with 3D sound. I mostly used csound. There are graphical
frontends to csound. I don't know how well they solve these 3D issues, but it
maybe worth investigating. I often heard of Blue.
   Csound can de/encode several different speakers setups (including 5.1, or
similar). There is an HRTF opcode (no there are two sets of them). With HRTF
you can convert true 3D speaker-based setups to binaural (headphones) 3D.
There are formulas floating around for different speaker setups.
   In csound you write/somehow put on the screen an orchestra. It is a kind of
a setup, which tells csound what to wire with what else. Csound understands
Jack.
   One thing: I've never used this in realtime, but it should work. You'll have
to try or ask the concert csounders.
   You might also investigate other synths like csound CLM (Common Lisp Music)
or SC3 (SuperCollider3) or PD (PureData). they all have their GUIs and they
all should have something similar. Just ask the GUI-guys, what they prefer, or
what they can recommend for a beginner.
   Kindest regards
          Julien

--------