[LAU] Performance tuning audio apps

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 07:21:03 EEST

I'm trying to squeeze the last little bit of juice out of my EEE.

The CPU I have is this:
http://restivo.org/projects/eee/cpu.txt

This nifty script at http://www.pixelbeat.org/scripts/gcccpuopt , says I should use "-march=core2 -mtune=pentium -mfpmath=sse"

However, the Gentoo people (who I take to be an -funrollloops authority on performance tuning), say I should "-march=core2 -mtune=generic -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe".

And then there is -march=native which many say is just easier and faster. And others recommend putting "-msse2" and other such things.

What say you-all?

I want to maximize the efficiency of, in particular, LinuxSampler, CALF/CAPS/TAP/GUTARIX plugins, AZR3, and Fluidsynth, but keep them super-stable as they have been.

Thanks!

-ken