Re: [LAU] Simple, fast, easy notation software?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 11:00:19 EEST

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 07:51:50AM +0200, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> On Wednesday August 19 2009 04.10.49 Ken Restivo wrote:
> > I'll try impro-visor and see how it goes. If it'll run with the Debian GNU
> > Java, then great. If it requires the Sun JVM, might be more of a hassle
> > than it's worth.
>
> The best thing with Impro-Visor is that it takes so short time to learn, and
> for fast making of lead sheets, it's probably the best at the moment. You must
> also run the virmidi module.
>
> A wild guess is that you must use Sun's Java, not many "bigger" apps work in a
> non Sun Java environment in my experience. On the other hand: it should not be
> any problem longer to install it, it's in Debian's non-free section of the
> repo and a newer Java 1.6* Ubuntu deb will probably install as well.
>
> I use Sun's 1.6* version of Java (downloaded from Sun) in my FC10/CCRMA system
> and it did not take long time to make it work. In my Ubuntu system, I use a
> deb.

Ah, cool. Sun JAVA is in Debian! Will wonders never cease.

> As another side effect: The Fantasia front end for Linux sampler will work as
> well.

That would be fun to try out.

> Is it for your Eee? How much programs and gizmos is it really possible to
> stuff inside it? I have the impression that it runs on steroids. :-)

Yeah, I'm using it on the EEE, which is why I'm a little worried about trying to shove JAVA into this whole setup.

My backup plan is that I do have a little Mini-ITX board with a 64-bit 1.6Ghz processor in it sitting around, and if the EEE finally can't take it anymore than I can use the ITX as a synth.

-ken