Re: [LAU] JACK for multi-processors

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 17:27:51 EEST

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Norval Watson<norv2001@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I just realised there is a multi-processor version of JACK called jackdmp.
> I'm using jackd 0.116 from the debian repos on a dual core amd64 box.
> Do I need/should I be using something else? I can't find jackdmp in the sid repos I use.

keep in mind that unless you either:

   (a) use inherently parallel signal pathways OR
   (b) use an experimental branch of the Jack2 codebase

you won't get any speedups from an MP version of JACK.

Most audio signal processing occurs in series, not in parallel. You
will only see an improvement if you have multiple apps feeding a
common client, or at least one app feeding multiple other clients. In
the general case of "synth -> FX -> output", there is no inherent
parallelism.

the experimental branch of Jack2 does some magic to work around this limitation.