Re: [LAU] Another spiritual exercise

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 03:54:32 EEST

TheOther wrote:
> At the start I was wondering who these men would be. I totally agree
> with 3 of the 5 (in particular, I really thought Balaam was an
> inspired choice!) but I'm not sure how well Samson fit in for the
> reason that you gave; and he and Solomon were not in the first 5 books
> of Moses, or The Pentateuch. Titus is from the New Testament.
>
> The reason this nit-picking occurred to me is that I'm a Lutheran,
> Confirmation lay teacher, who takes the 1st year students (11 year
> olds, typically the 6th grade.) If I had the nerve.... I'm sure the
> 6th graders would like it! But when they got home and told their
> parents what they learned in Confirmation Class today.... oh boy.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Stephen. I'll make sure I point out
the discrepancies when I next perform it. I'm surprised I haven't heard
back from a couple other friends who are clergymen, they know the song
but have never pointed out the nits. :)

> A very cute ditty.

Thanks for listening and for having a good sense of humor. Btw, I first
heard it on an anthology of pieces made by members of a bbs that focused
on vintage analog synths. I kid you not.

Best,

dp