Re: [LAU] Simple, fast, easy notation software?

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 09:53:13 EEST

>ASCII falls flat ...

???
More on ABC

Abc is the old university unix standard for coding music. It was all in 7-bit
ascii, email and junk-printer safe. It was suitable for single staff (lead
sheets like we were discussing), chords and English lyrics. This made it most
suitable for English and Celtic folk music and there are tens of thousands of
tunes in archives in various universities.

The ABC being discussed here is a front-end for abc coding. To bring this old
standard into the 21th century, it needed UTF8 for lyrics in the language of
one's choice and mutlitple staves. So there is an abc2 standard. Much of this
is implemented in this program and in noteedit as well.

I have not tried it--I should. Let you know my reactions...