Re: [LAU] audio cd jumpy playback

From: Garry Ogle <garry.ogle@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 11:38:28 EEST

Garry Ogle wrote:
> Antanas Budriûnas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> this is my first post on the linux-audio-user list.
>> Since 2005 I'm around linux audio and I met such a problem at first time.
>> Audio playback from the Internet, HDD, USB stick is OK.
>> However: ordinary audio CD plays OK first 16 seconds, then 7 seconds
>> no audio, from 23 sec. plays some seconds again then stops for some
>> seconds and so on.
>> The same with Sound Juicer and Rhythmbox.
>> System: Dell Latitude E5400, C2D P8600, 4 GB RAM, Ubuntustudio 9.04,
>> Linux kernel 2.6.28-15-generic.
>> I saw a bug report in launchpad.net already, however no solution yet.
>> Advices or comments are welcome.
>>
>> Antanas Budriûnas
>
> sound-juicer and rhythmbox are both Gnome programs that share a lot of
> dependencies, specifically gstreamer.
> Try a player that doesn't have those dependencies. I like VLC. It will
> play just about anything. Aqualung is a good audio/cd player.
> See if that works.
>
> best wishes, G.

To explain further: you could revert to earlier versions of the effected
software, but that could be a messy and frustrating process that will
not ultimately get you anywhere.
If VLC or whatever works fine, then use that; but upgrade your usual
software as new versions become available. Hopefully this bug will not
last long!

Welcome to LAU! Best wishes, G.