Re: [LAU] To improve Linux audio tools: a Blender like idea

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 26 2009 - 12:39:53 EEST

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:36:29 +0200
Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm pretty impressed by the work and way of organization by the
> Blender Foundation.
>
> http://www.blender.org/
> http://durian.blender.org/
>
> They use open video projects to improve their 3d software. And those
> projects looks pretty professional. The movie is even shown on the
> main film festival in The Netherlands and the project got attention
> on some big tv programs in at least The Netherlands.
>
> Maybe this concept could be useful to improve and promote Linux audio
> tools too.
>
> For example:
>
> - contact a professional record label/ studio to make a record only
> made with FLOSS software
> - contact professional musicians/ bands/
> - contact professional mixing/mastering engineers.
> - make a cd and some live gigs/touring
> - make money by sponsors/funds/donations
>
> I think those 'professionals' doesn't have to be Linux musicians in
> my opinion, but good musicians/ engineers in the first place. Of
> course they should have interest in the project. and of course some
> expert in the Linux audio community could join such a project.
>
> The project could be managed by an Ardour team and/ or Linuxaudio.org
> for example, like the Blender Foundation is managing the open movie
> projects.
>
> At the end of such a project:
>
> - you have a nice cd and maybe some nice gigs (on festivals)
> - you show the people what is possible with FLOSS audio tools and so
> you promote it
> - the audio software tools has been improved to get the project done.
>
> Kick off next LAD conference?
>

> Regards,
>
> \r

Well, I just read through the project durian description[1] and noticed
that they don't use FLOSS for audio, they only recommend to
include free software in the external providers pipeline.

So why not start there and see that the blender projects use FLOSS for
audio as well?

One problem in the past apparently was 5.1 audio, I don't know if there
is a sane working way to do that yet. If not, maybe it should be done
the way they do it with blender itself and have the blender foundation
pay someone to work on it.

[1]http://durian.blender.org/about/

Regards,
Philipp