Re: [LAU] Looking for update on ALSA bugs ??

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 26 2009 - 19:03:45 EEST

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:38 AM, William Case<billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On Aug 4-5 I started a short thread on a problem I am having with ALSA.
> The thread was
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-August/061871.html
> titled [LAU] ALSA + Intel HDA + (Hauppauge PCIe Combo tv tuner) ??
>
> I have also filed a couple of bug reports with Fedora 11. When I check
> the Fedora Bugzilla page I can see there is a long list of unresolved
> ALSA bugs.  I have also noticed that Ubuntu users are having the same or
> similar problems.  I have received no feedback from anyone on any of
> this.
>
> I am trying not to carp, but simply enquire.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> Is there a particular problem with PCIe; analog sound; cx23885 driver; a
> lack of maintainers; or, a lack of interest in my kind of TV tuner/sound
> problem?
>
> I am trying to decide between being patient, or, throwing out a brand
> new $150 tv tuner and buying a different one.
>
> --
> Regards Bill
> Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3
> Evo.2.26.3, Emacs 23.1.1

I'd be inclined to chalk it up to being the summer more than anything
else. Maintainers and developers are people too and I expect they take
vacations or have to deal with kids, etc. I'm currently dealing with
about 10 bugs on different machines, different hardware, some drivers,
some applications. Many of these bugs have existed for months now and
(frustratingly) none have been addressed as of yet.

It's my opinion (and nothing more!!!) that a lot of Linux areas are
sort of 'in trouble' or just messy right now. KDE is going through
changes trying to get to 4.3. Gnome is coming up to some big changes
and is scaring some folks so I switched to XFCE. Xorg is having more
driver problems than I can remember right now so I bought a new video
card to make my wife happy as the bug she was dealing with hadn't been
touched in 2-3 months. This has happened a few times in the 10 years
that I've been running Linux. It eventually works itself out but
sometimes takes a while.

Again, just my opinion. If you need the card right now then you might
be out of luck. If you can wait and file bugs appropriately then
you'll likely get a fix in the next few months.

Hope this helps, emotionally anyway.

Cheers,
Mark