Re: [LAU] To improve Linux audio tools: a Blender like idea

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 00:10:48 EEST

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:41:24AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Patrick
> Shirkey<pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > IIRC Fons is running the largest wave field synthesis system in the
> > world and uses exclusively Linux software including Ardour.
>
> Err, no, that would be the TU Berlin.

Yes, both in terms of physical size and number of channels
the one in Berlin is much bigger. There's also a big one
at Ircam, but it's not surround.

The one here is certainly the biggest one open to the general
public. I've now completely automated the whole thing so it can
be run without any technical supervision by the museum staff.
They just have an EEE with a player-like GUI talking OSC to the
Python application that controls and if necessary reconfigures
everything. Ardour is not used in this mode, the multichannel
audio player is a Python class (with the real-time part written
in C++).

Ardour is used for the more experimental and research
activities. Today I used it to cut a six channel recording
of a piece by Cage into +/- 500 litte pieces distributed
over 32 tracks. Each of these little pieces will be
spatitalised separately, again using a Python app that
tracks Jack's transport and generates the commands for
the WFS engines.

It's fun !

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.