Re: [LAU] ableton live in vmware

From: Atte Andre Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 31 2009 - 12:02:36 EEST

Robbert Latumahina wrote:

> I'm developing an Ableton-like midi/audio -sequencer.

Nice!

I have to read in detail the interesting description, including roadmap
before commenting on that, but I have one quick comment.

> The only big question for me is what licence to use:
> GPL and maybe acquire eternal fame in the opensource community. :)
> or
> Release it closedsource for about 50 euro just like Renoise and Energy-XT.

I think an important aspect is if you see you self ready to deliver as a
one-developer company.

Renoise is developed by a group of developers, and came from (some kind
of) opensource that got serious/commercial at one point.

EnergyXT started as a single developer, closed source project, and has
now evolved into a company with more than one person.

Renoise development is going well, users are happy, the application is
stable and a logical roadmap is laid out based on input from users
(including polls).

EnergyXT development is a mess. The application is not very stable,
users are flaming the developers at the forum for not listening, and
many users are switching away.

I bought both, so for me it's not about the money (what is 50 euros,
anyways?), but I think you'd have an easier time with an opensource
application, especially if you manage to build a development team and a
user base over time.

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte