Re: [LAU] What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 01 2009 - 13:09:52 EEST

On 09/01/2009 06:00 PM, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> GUI-wise, you could always add such a matrix to an existing
> DAW/sequencer (not a small project, of course). But you need a backend
> that can play any pattern any time, with a sync-to-beat trigger feature.
> And live time stretching.

This is a useful comparison. IMO we don't need to implement the second
and third features but they would be nice additions and are definitely
useful.

> So, none of the linux audio apps comes even close.

Several apps are closer than you are suggesting. What we need is
momentum being built not the complete opposite.

> A set of separate tools can never be a replacement (except with a
> not-seen-before sophisticated level of optional integration, perhaps).

I believe this is where the thread is going already.

> People can talk about the real or perceived shortcomings of linux audio
> tools all day. Doesn't change a thing.

Often progress only happens in very small increments.

> The vague and sometimes silly
> comparisons and the very foggy ideas what some commercial apps actually
> offer are damn frustrating. Would surprise me to read something*new*.

Charming. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd