Re: [LAU] What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)

From: Michael Bohle <opendaw@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 01 2009 - 15:39:05 EEST

----- original Nachricht --------

Betreff: [LAU] What Live is about (was: Re: ableton live in vmware)
Gesendet: Di, 01. Sep 2009
Von: Thorsten Wilms<t_w_@email-addr-hidden>

> On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 20:56 -0400, Brett McCoy wrote:
>
> > I have to admit complete ignorance here, but what is it about Live
> > that makes it advantageous over DAWs like Ardour, Reaper, Sonar, Pro
> > Tools, etc? Is it primarily loop/clip/synth based rather than a hard
> > disk recorder/mixer like a traditional DAW?
>
> My knowledge is based on reading about it in magazines early on and much
> later using the trial version for a bit.
>
> When it came out, using software for live performance was seen as novel
> idea (there might have been an "underground" scene thinking
> differently).
>
> The minimalistic graphics optimized for clearness were a revelation.
> Dialogs are avoided, it's all in one window.
>
> AFAIK it allows tempo changes and immediately stretches/shrinks all
> audio to fit. Sony Acid might have been earlier with that.
> You can also add markers on clips and then move these markers and the
> material between markers will be stretched/shrunken to accommodate. The
> version I tried would do so "only" linearly :)
>
> I think the central new concept was having a matrix view, where you have
> columns for tracks/instruments and rows for "Scenes".
> Have a look at:
> http://digisound.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/3-big-rocker.jpg
> All those rectangles with play symbols are patterns.
> If you look down the "Master" column, it should become clear what scenes
> are about. Note that you can trigger any of the patterns any time.
> There's a sync feature that can make sure patterns will be started on
> the beat/next-measure.
>
> There's also a "traditional" arrangement view:
> http://www.kaosaudio.com/images/software/ableton-live-7-le-arrangement.png
>
> Nowadays there's a collection of deeply integrated synth "plugins".
>

> GUI-wise, you could always add such a matrix to an existing
> DAW/sequencer (not a small project, of course). But you need a backend
> that can play any pattern any time, with a sync-to-beat trigger feature.
> And live time stretching.
>
> So, none of the linux audio apps comes even close.
> A set of separate tools can never be a replacement (except with a
> not-seen-before sophisticated level of optional integration, perhaps).
>
> People can talk about the real or perceived shortcomings of linux audio
> tools all day. Doesn't change a thing. The vague and sometimes silly
> comparisons and the very foggy ideas what some commercial apps actually
> offer are damn frustrating. Would surprise me to read something *new*.

Thank you for this. It makes me crazy when I read "You don't need fancy apps like this, hydrogen is good enough" or "sooperlooper do the job".

I use AL because it is a masterpiece of music software and it fits my needs for a creative workflow. It is the state of art today and contemporary technology for musicians. It is no hype, it is an answer for the question: How you can make music without touching the limits of software.

When I read "just put together a few apps on Linux with JACK and you have the same" it make me clear that most of the Linux fanboys here are never seen or used modern software and they don't know what they are talking about. Even David Philips never seen Garageband, but he talk about. It is no good idea to hide behind the small world of Linux audio. The progress goes on, and now it is 2009.

Michael

--- original Nachricht Ende ----