Re: [LAU] Ext3 or JFS (or other) for linux audio?

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 07 2009 - 18:49:18 EEST

Quoting TheOther <theother1510@email-addr-hidden>:

> A few years ago I had trouble in booting a Linux box that did not have
> Ext2 or Ext3 for the file system. True, I wasn't using a specific
> /boot partition, just a / partition.
>
> Can you now boot with a / partition in something other than Ext2 or
> Ext3? Or is the approach to use a /boot partition in Ext2 or Ext3,
> and then use whatever file system you want for / and the rest of the
> partitions?

The only caveat I know about is that you can't have the boot loader on
a partition with XFS, and reading the FAQ it only seems to affect LILO
and not GRUB
(http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Does_LILO_work_with_XFS.3F).
If you installed GRUB in MBR there should be no problem, assuming you
have the proper filesystem support installed. (see the *stage1_5 files
in /boot/grub).

That said I usually make a small ext3 /boot partition anyway.