Re: [LAU] midi over wine

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 14:27:44 EEST

Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
> I'd love to, except I was a long-time Windows user before switching to
> Linux 2 years ago. I tried many open-source MIDI/notation packages but
> I've never found anything I like as much as Noteworthy Composer.
>
> Besides, the point of Linux is that I'm free to choose, right?

Indeed. Wine is Linux software, ALSA is Linux software, and your kernel
is Linux. I don't believe in limiting my options on principle when my
essential work is at stake.

As it happens, after trying various options under Wine I find that I can
achieve my goals with free & open-source software under Linux. Someone
else's mileage will certainly vary as their goals differ from mine.

When tools like Wine are available it seems foolish to not use them,
especially if they make your creative work possible.

Best,

dp