[LAU] OT: unbalanced to balanced

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 00:55:48 EEST

This is so way-OT, but I trust the knowledge on this list in general,
so I'm hoping someone can help me...

I've extracted a little mono amp out of a pair of computer speakers
that I would like to use as a general practice/noise amp. It
currently has a balanced 1/8" input. The wires going to the input
are: black, white, and a braid of wires (I'm assuming shield?). I'd
like to cut this 1/8" plug off and add a 1/4" female jack so I can
plug stuff into it. But where do I solder the wires to? (i.e., black
to tip, white to sleeve, that kind of thing) I have access to stereo
and mono 1/4" jacks.

Thanks, and sorry again for the OT.

PS - I've read that the proper way to do this is to use an audio
transformer, but that's WAY overkill for this project, I just want
sound to come out, nothing audiophile or anything like that.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com