[LAU] PortAudio and Audacity+jack

From: Scott <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 10 2009 - 02:43:32 EEST

I'd really like to use Audacity through Jack. Unfortunately it's
behavior complicates this. I can load up a file, but nothing shows up
in jack connections until I hit play. Then two PortAudio channels
appear! If I stop playback they disappear. The next time I press play
they appear again, but incremented by 2 and, of course, not connected to
my out channels. This was all covered in an old thread here:

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=552

The best solution I could find there was to use PatchBay. That kind of
works, except the two PortAudio output sockets created by Audacity
automatically connect to the first two input sockets on my system which
don't happen to be where the monitor cables plug in (they're in 10 and
11). Is there a way to specify which output plug routes to which input
plug via patchbay or is it stuck at the socket level with no
finer-grained control?

In a pinch, is there another mp3 capable audio player that works with
jack without jumping through any more hoops than just starting the app?

-Scott

p.s. Using PortAudio v19, Audacity 1.3.5-beta