Re: [LAU] which audio synthesis environment?

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 16:37:33 EEST

Grammostola Rosea wrote:

> How to choose a audio synthesis environment? Why and when Pd,
> Supercollider or Csound?

Pd + GEM is a powerhouse environment for audio/visual synthesis.

I'm too far out of touch with the current SC3 to have any worthwhile
opinion, but the last time I really worked with it I missed the variety
of unit generators I have in Csound. Users report new graphics
capabilities, I'd really like to get time enough to check out the latest
& greatest codebase.

Csound + Common Music = My choice for an awesome environment for
music/sound composition.

My personal history with computers began with a PC clone and MS-DOS,
along with the rudiments of assembly language and C, so I'm comfortable
with text-based interfaces and command-line operations.

Best,

dp