Re: [LAU] Laptop specs

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 13 2009 - 00:38:42 EEST

Ray Rashif wrote:

> 7200RPM is absolutely necessary to be rid of that bottleneck, first and
> foremost. A 5400RPM imposes a practical limit to the minimum size of the
> buffer, and from experience this can be as big as 256 (meaning anything
> lower you get xruns regardless of how good your audio interface is).

Interesting, will have to try that on the synthesizer laptop. It's got a
5400RPM drive ...

> WD has a 320GB 7200 mobile disk going for around 100 bucks.

Just make sure it has the right interface for your old laptop!

> Secondly, the CPU. This is important because the lower the latency, the
> harder the CPU works. As such, if the headroom is not big enough, you
> find that even a little bit more CPU usage deals a heavy blow. I'd
> recommend at least a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo, which is pretty standard these days.
>
> Overheating is an inherent hardware problem that comes with age. I bet
> your battery capacity has decreased as well. And a 7200RPM disk will
> output more heat, so get a flatbed cooler if the laptop's underside
> design isn't good enough to compensate.

Might also find it worthwhile to open the laptop up and see about
cleaning anything that might be obstructing airflow. Just in case stuff
has built up over the years.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden