Re: [LAU] which audio synthesis environment?

From: Atte Andre Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 13 2009 - 16:36:11 EEST

Grammostola Rosea wrote:

> Isn't it possible to make nice plugins for GNU/Linux with SuperCollider,
> e.g. code an instrument and make a gui around it? As some kind of
> replacement for VST plugins? Or is that a stupid thought?

I think that is an excellent thought. I'd prefer csound as a backend,
though :-) I imagine PD would fit the bill best, though.

Imagine a PD VST/VSTi that came with presets (PD patches saved in a
folder) and allowed the user to add her own. The underlying PD should be
invisible to the user (so no need to do external install), just place
the pd.so (with accompanying patch folder) in your ~/.vst and off you
go. It could input/output midi and audio, so extreme arpeggiators or
algoritmic composition would be within reach. Haven't tried it, but I
imagine this is possible with the newly discussed Ableton Live/Max combo.

Of course the more native linux plugin standards (dssi, ladspa, lv2),
could also be a way to go, but I'm using a host that understands VST,
VSTi and ladspa (I think not dssi). Maybe dssi would be the most
appropiate, then we "just" need to convince devs to support dssi.

I have no idea, however, if such a plugin has been atempted or how
possible it would be...

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk   http://virb.com/atte