Re: [LAU] [Zynaddsubfx-user] zyn and the art of software maintenance

From: cal <cal@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 14:12:49 EEST

Atte Andre Jensen wrote:
> I'm joining a bit late, sorry about that.
welcome to the party.

> A question: what's the relationship between yoshimi and zynaddsubfx? Is
> yoshimi a fork by cal?
Not exactly a fork, no, I've never had that intention. I've loved ZynAddSubFX
since it first appeared, but lately found increasing frustration at a) the
crackling, and b) the official project showed no signs of addressing the real
performance issues. So I started futzing about with the code, and eventually
got it to where it is now.

> Are there any plans to merge the changes back
I hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it happening soon. There's a bit of history
there, see the ZynAddSubFX user list archive to catch up.

> are you (cal) prepared to carry the project alone?
Sigh. Sooner or later I'll have to explain this, so it might as well be now.
I'm dealing with a healthy dose of cancer, currently in week 5 of 6 of a
radiotherapy binge, toasting tumors! My sporadic bursts of genuine productivity
are all too short and too far apart. Sorry, but I'm in no position to take on
a major role in either sorting out the real ZynAddSubFX, or in carrying a fork.
As the web page says, I've presented a development snapshot that at the very
least demonstrates that functional jack io _is_ possible with ZynAddSubFX, plus
an example of how it might be done. I have no doubt that others more skilled
than me could do it better. I'd be happy to help with sorting out the official
codebase, but I think there'll need to be a slight attitudinal adjustment before
that can happen.

> Now to my problems: I'm on arch linux and "ccmake ." enters an
> interactive shell (it shouldn't, should it?) and pressing "g" for
> generate produced the following errors:
>
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:273 (add_executable):
> Target "yoshimi" links to item " fltk" which has leading or trailing
> whitespace. This is now an error according to policy CMP0004.
>

> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:273 (add_executable):
> Target "yoshimi" links to item " Xft" which has leading or trailing
> whitespace. This is now an error according to policy CMP0004.
>

> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:273 (add_executable):
> Target "yoshimi" links to item " pthread" which has leading or trailing
> whitespace. This is now an error according to policy CMP0004.

At a guess, a policy adjustment might be the best way to resolve this. For that
I'll need to do some reading first (or you could!). What does your
'cmake --version' report?

cheers, Cal