Re: [LAU] Hardware VST host?

From: Sean Corbett <seanbutnotheard@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 22 2009 - 18:25:08 EEST

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:33 AM, rosea grammostola
<rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>> rosea grammostola wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering, could a hardware VST host be another solution for the 'VST-problem' on Linux?
>>>

>> Does anyone here use the Receptor box ?
>>
>> http://www.museresearch.com/

I've got an older (revision B) Receptor that I use from time to time.
It's a very solid platform... it comes with a bunch of free (beer)
plugins that sound decent, and supports plugins that use iLok-based
copy protection. But my opinion is that a) it's too closed, though on
the upside I believe the devs have given a lot of code back to Wine
... and b) a better all-open-source solution could exist, built on
netjack/lash/jack-rack/lv2rack/jconv/etc., if some kind soul(s) had
the time to put into it and bundle it all up with a nice unified
interface. An easy-to-use "Linux DSP farm OS" is a project I've
considered on occasion, but alas, real life tends to get in the way of
my grandiose dreams.

> Mmh Uniwire?
>
> http://www.museresearch.com/uniwire.php

The downside is that you still need a VST host to connect via
Uniwire... Uniwire is essentially a VST plugin that uses something
analogous to NetJack+LASH to control the Receptor (though I'm sure the
architecture is quite different under the hood). I've asked Muse on
their forums on multiple occasions to create a Jack-client version of
Uniwire, since the Uniwire VST has some issues running under Ardour.
I doubt they're terribly interested though. ;)

Sean Corbett
blacktownsound.com