Re: [LAU] Bagpipe(Medieval) Plugin - Who wants to develop one with me?

From: Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 09:32:10 EEST

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 00:33 +0200, Nils wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I am a member and composer of a band who plays with Bagpipes
> (http://www.wargsang.de)
> Since we do not find enough time anymore I want to do more work with
> my computer instead of real instruments. But there is no plugin
> avaible, especially not free software. So I want to do my own.
> Bagpipes are tricky instruments so instead of recording samples and
> make a .gig for linuxsampler I think a real plugin or jack standalone
> software is better.

It kind of depends on the sound you're after. I've got a reasonable
simulation of uillean pipes by synthesizing the drones and then miking
up a practice chanter. If you're after a decent pìob mhòr sound then
you're basically going to need to record bagpipes ;-)

As with so many "real" instruments, it's less down to the actual sound
and more down to the technique - even a really cheesy synthesized or
sampled guitar can sound quite realistic if you play it properly. Now,
implementing a bagpipe *controller* would be something I would be
interested in - detecting fingers over holes and detecting airflow is
easy enough, but maybe detecting fingers half over the hole to slide a
note would be tricky.

Hmm, USB bagpipe controller, then hack on Frets on Fire for a bit -
could Bagpipe Hero be the next Big Thing?

Gordon MMOYEQ