Re: [LAU] Musical Score Editors - some advice for beginners

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 20:28:58 EEST

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:33 AM, David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> rosegarden   also does scoring. I found it nearly impossible to use for this.
>> It is one of the most complete DAW programs in linux but is now dated, stuck
>> with KDE3, could not run on KDE4. Being converted to QT4?
>
> Yep, port to KDE4 (known as Thorn) is in the works.

In fact it's a port to Qt4, with no KDE dependencies at all.

You can get the code from the current Rosegarden Subversion trunk.
It's in a state which is worth messing with, but not yet worth
reporting bugs in -- there are still too many known omissions, and you
can't quite get real projects done with it yet.

The port is a big effort; it's taken a handful of part-time developers
nearly 18 months and over two thousand Subversion commits so far.
Most of the work is done, but it's a tiring business. It looks a bit
different from the KDE3 version, but don't expect much in the way of
new features; hopefully there should be some improvements to excuse
all that work, but the first goal is just to get most of the existing
features working.

Chris