Re: [LAU] Musical Score Editors - some advice for beginners

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 20:31:16 EEST

David Baron wrote:
>> MuseScore is still being developed.
>>
>> Look at the sourcecode repository.....
>>

> Nice to hear from you. It has been a while.
>
> Is there a new release/beta version around or are things mostly svn at this
> point. I would love to play with it some more.
>
> For the post topic, my comparisons as of now (released versions):
>
> complete? formatting? usability?
>
> nted almost good quite good
> uses cairo, fast graphics + pango
> can export to lilypond if preferred, no options now.
> author quite good about fixes, new features...
>
> mscore very lovely, good, but stability/UI
> too flexible issues
> uses qt4, some speed issues for large scores?
> author quite good about fixes, new features
> but this is a large and complex work.
>
> denemo claimed lilypond wierd, buggy
> Gtk-GUI feeder for lilypond--if one wants to try
> lilypond's markup, there is a kate plugin and a
> python-qt app-frescobaldi.
>
> noteedit good lilypond hokey, get's job done
> no longer maintained, KDE3, runs fine on KDE4
> ignore error messages if you get em
>
> rosegarden also does scoring. I found it nearly impossible to use for this.
> It is one of the most complete DAW programs in linux but is now dated, stuck
> with KDE3, could not run on KDE4. Being converted to QT4?
>
> canorus is the other successor to noteedit. Was very incomplete last outing.
> Anyone heard from them lately?

It can be hard to give a good review here. The best thing is try for
yourself.

 From the start on, I had confidence in the development of Nted, the
base (cairo, fast and light) is pretty good. To be honest, I had some
doubts about how many people are working on the project and how well the
coorporation with others would be. But it seems it continuous to
develops in the right way..

On disadvantage of Nted and advantage of Musecore is that the latter is
crossplatform. This sounds odd maybe, but I think it would be a very
good thing if there is a stable Open Source notation editor available
for anyone no matter what OS you have or your parents have...

Ps. good news today, tablature functionality is in the new release of
Lilypond :)

\r