Re: [LAU] Patch wars ? Debian vs. Fedora vs. ...

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 26 2009 - 03:28:11 EEST

On Friday 25 September 2009 16:56:12 Ray Rashif wrote:
> 2009/9/25 drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
>
> > On Thursday 24 September 2009 22:39:58 Ray Rashif wrote:
> > > Even if he does not, he has the
> > > right to determine how his software should be used, what should be
> >
> > patched,
> >
> > > what should be improved.
> >
> > Ah... What?!!! The right? (As in it some how has some bearing on us and
> > our rights as users of that same software and our rights to determine
> > such things
> > for ourselves?) Please explain your thinking here. I can see such
> > thinking from the non-Free world, but not sure how what I see being said
> > fits in the Free world. (So perhaps I am seeing something that was not
> > said...??
> >
> > all the best,
> >
> > drew
>
> Uhh..no. He has the right in his domain. A third-party has his rights as
> well, and that's when it's called a "fork" :) So let me simplify:
>
> You don't like it, then take it your way.
>
> We're lucky our devs are friendly. Well, most of them.

I don't know if I like it or not as I was not speaking to the particular issue
at hand but to the general.

Below modded a bit for layour purposes:

"Even if he does not, he has the right to determine:

how his software should be used,

what should be patched,

what should be improved."

Within any developer's copy of their code, I agree with the second two, but
the right to determine how it should be used once in the hands of users? (If
that is what you meant, I don't think I agree with that. If you meant
something else, another clarification would be appreciated.

all the best,

drew